Monday, November 17, 2014

The Aquatic Uncle

   I found the use of land, water, and the line between the two as prominent symbols throughout the story. Obviously, they allude to our own difficulties of change in our contemporary world, especially for our older generations. When the uncle tells the protagonist that he would develop warts, referencing to change and rejection of the past traditional ways. The closer they grow to land, which the fish would consider the unknown, the more monstrous they grow. Whereas water meant life and youth.
 
   Each character in the story reminded me of people I personally know or situations I have gone through and continue to do so. Growing up with my grandparents, who grasp to their traditional conservative views, and yet surrounding myself with people of more broadened views from my own generation. I find myself in the same position of the protagonist, living in the middle, accepting change but still seldomly looking back to the past. To dismantle all prejudices and achieve acceptance.
 
   This story would adapt well into an animated film or even an illustrated graphic novel. The biggest changes it would need would be more description of the characters, since a majority were vague (save the uncle) and hard to get a clear image of what they would look like. If the characters were made human and the setting changed to a contemporary city or town, it could even be adapted to a live-action film.

No comments:

Post a Comment