Monday, December 1, 2014

Week 15: The Novel of Spiritual Education (Revised)

    Originally I had posted this entry when I had only read 3/4's of the book, now that I've finished it entirely, I can slightly add and revise it. I have had a copy of Erin Morgenstern's, The Night Circus, on my shelf for months now. I've been longing to read it, yet never had the time to spare. Finally, I was given that chance to sit and read it.
     Like most fantasy series I've read, despite the fantasy setting, the characters are typically relatable. Celia's and Marco's challenge along with the high expectations placed on them by their parental figures puts a heavy burden on their shoulders, which many young adults can relate to. No matter how much they wish to escape their destiny, they are still bound to it and try to play around it. The novel differs from other fantasy books because of how the main characters want to shake off a destiny that was built for them. At the end of the novel, rather than one having to kill the other, both become spirits and are able to haunt the circus peacefully together. They fight against the destiny that was chosen for them and create their own, neither win the game, but neither had to kill the one they love.
     Overall, I really enjoy the book thus far. I especially enjoyed reading the different perspectives. I've formed a slight attachment to Widget and Poppet, probably the two most intuitive twins I've encountered in literature. Morgenstern's picturesque style of writing is wonderful, though it does leave me craving for more.


No comments:

Post a Comment